Sunday, October 10, 2010

Gorgeous weather!

Wow. What great weather. I have been spraying, YES, using chemicals in my field!!!! If you can give me an organic product or method to control thousands of thistle and dandelions, let me know. Fortunately, the weed problem in my iris and daylilies are 'broadleaf weeds.' So I can safely use an herbicide intended to kill just those plants, like you would use on your turf. Since iris, bulb plants and dayliles are also 'monocots,' (grass plants) they are not harmed. Last year I used an 'organic' product called Horticulture Vinegar. It was just vinegar with a higher acid level. It had very fast knockdown, almost before your eyes. Problem is, it doesn't kill the root of perennial weeds, and they just grow back with 2 weeks. I never tried it strictly on annual broadleaf weeds like nightshade. I did however try it against regular vinegar, and found that to be just as effective. The Hort vinegar sells for a lot more money, like $20 a gallon. The acid in the vinegar dissolves the leafs protective coating, and when exposed directly to the sun it croaks. Music to my eyes watching it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment