Friday, October 15, 2010

Evaluation time

Working on evaluating this year crops. What to scratch from the list because it wasn't tall enough (sorry short people, I'm with ya). What didn't bloom when needed, like a type of celosia just starting to look good, what the? Descriptions in catalogs are one thing...field performance, another. Some plants that are great, I didn't have enough of like Purple Majesty Millet. Some plants "I" love like orange cosmos but they don't always do so well in the vase. My guidelines for selection are: cutable stem length of 15-18" min, limited if any thorns, plant has a flowering period of at least a month, limited disease/virus/insect issues, vase life of 1 week, can be used within 24 hrs of picking (some fall & take 2 days to recover) flower/foliage has to be useable w/lots of others (you know get along w/everyone.) I have a dianthus that flowers red-pink-white on the same flower head. I can't design it w/anything but itself. Just a big bunch of that!
My work has a certain look, and some things I just can't use! So a perennial like that dianthus is destined for containers and headed to your garden! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment