Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Seed Catalogs

Are yours arriving yet? They are a breath of spring air, but also signal another season of endless work. I will share w/you my favorite 'retail' catalogs:
Jordan Seeds, Woodbury MN (for cheap veg seed, and lots of it)
Park Seed
Johnny's Selected Seed
Gurneys....are ok

Most of my seed is purchased thru wholesalers. What about plants? I have never been a fan of purchasing plants from the 'retail' catalog sources. I think buying in person is always best, like from me!
Wholesalers do a great job of selling plants to retailers like me. Retail mail order not so good. There is a company out of Bloomington Illinois that is a total rip-off. They use many different names, I have counted about 10 total. It is a colored paper catalog with outrageous plant claims. Two of the names they use are 'Four Season & Farmer Seed (used to be reliable). They sent me plants once in November, and they were all moldy. Lots of bad press about this group.

Many years ago I had purchased plants from Gurneys and Henry Fields. The plants were always tiny and rarely survived the season. I have gotten peonies that were so small they took about 6 years to bloom. Rarely have I been happy with a 'retail' mail order plant. Trees are the worst.
Many catalog companies also have retail stores, so that explains who gets the BEST stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment