Thursday, September 23, 2010

Wintertime bird treats

I know it's a ways away, but you have to start saving your goodies now to make it. I only feed the birds in the winter. If I fed them all year long, they won't be tempted to eat my weed seeds, which is what I really want them to do. Every year I start saving my bacon grease from those scrumptious BLT's during tomato season. Last night I saved the raspberry solids that I strained off for jelly. Last week I saved the raw beef fat (suet) we trimmed for stew, and along the way I freeze other tidbits and apples/berries on the decline etc. Then........I melt the bacon fat, place in a humongous bowl & stir all the goodies together, adding birdseed, peanut butter and a variety of other things like oatmeal, cornmeal (not rice though). As the bacon fat hardens, it will hold the mass together. I usually pack it it into 3-4 Cup containers & store in the freezer. Take out as needed, remove from container and place on bird feeder, they LOVE it! I don't use any 'special' amounts of anything, but you will need about 1 Cup of bacon fat to hold together 1/2 - 1 gallon of ingredients. If your offerings are not all eaten by spring, you may have to throw out, otherwise the fat may melt and drip on your deck/patio. Great to help our feathered friends through the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment