Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Re-thinking your last years efforts

Before you get swept up in next years crop choices, it's always good to evaluate last years efforts first.
(talking vegetables here.)

I can make reasonable decisions in the winter.......but then, I too usually go overboard. Some of the questions to ask yourself are:
  • was I able to care for everything?
  • was it a reasonable return for my efforts?
  • did you eat all of your harvest or did you throw out 385 zucchinis?
  • did you get it all picked or did most of it rot in the garden?
  • what could you have used more of?
  • did any of the crops have severe insect/disease issues?
  • is it better to quit some items and just purchase them?
  • were some items planted too late to harvest anything sizeable?
I know I have grown sweet corn for the last time..........I think. My overstuffed acreage doesn't allow for acres of corn - I just need to accept this. Bummer. Okay, so I may grow enough for the family. More pumpkins for painted jems to sell at Jim's Apple Farm. More raspberries, never have enough.

I have a lot of crops to re-think too, it's an annual event.

1 comment:

  1. NEVER enough raspberries. I've even paid the big $$$ for fresh ones this week.

    ReplyDelete