Monday, October 8, 2012

Will it ever rain?

Our native animals must be having a hard time finding water too. I admit, living on the lake I don't think about that much.........my local critter community has water handy. How about yours? One of my sisters told me she recently filled 4 bird baths that were wildly popular. dah. Good idea.

This drought is unbelievable. Good to continue to water trees, shrubs and perennials. But as the plants experience senescense, they will need less and less water. Good idea to apply winter mulch in the perennial bed this year. Anytime that plants are stressed, a little TLC can go a long ways. About 4-8" of straw, hay or pine needles is perfect.....applied around mid November. Leaves can pack down, as they don't drain water freely. A mat of wet leaves can rot the crowns of perennials. Plenty of farmers around here that will have a few bales to sell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment