Thursday, June 14, 2012

IRIS ISSUES.......so bad.

 What is this mess? A clump of iris, that's what. It appears to be a combination of leaf spot & scorch.
Some groups are more affected than others. The issue seems to be wide spread from St. Peter, to New Sweden to Mankato to Waseca and who knows where else! Yes, these photos are my field plants.
If  and when I get this figured out, I will lyk right away. Never water at night, and with the rain we've had you should not need to water the rest of the season unless drought befalls us! Really. Do not fertilize at this point either. Someone emailed me about dusting with Comet hand cleaner (dry bleach) then watering in. Does anyone know anything about this? My suggestion is this: Cut back, about 1 inch below the brown portion, remove all brown leaves into the trash, do not compost. Do not touch healthy part of leaves with contaminated hands or tools. You could try (at your own risk) spraying cut surface with a 10%. bleach solution. When I dig groups, they are soaked in this for a few minutes to kill disease, so that shouldn't hurt them. Also, prune neighboring plants if air flow is not good.

 Good Luck!  

No comments:

Post a Comment