Thursday, May 24, 2012

Iris and Peony update

Well, since we did get good rain last night, we may have iris stalks blooming.......only time will tell. We have had extreme spring heat and ferocious winds at Earthworks over the last week along with parched soil. All bad. The peonies that did open were smaller than usual and fell apart soon after. After last nights rain and wind, I am sure they are looking crappy.  The worst year yet, after what was a  promising start a month ago. I encourage you to order iris & peony off the website at www.earthworksgardens.com
If you pick them up, I will payback the shipping. Even w/o the iris blooming, the rhizomes are perfectly healthy to bloom the next year. Without water, they did not have the energy to bloom this year. Should be extra good next year.....I think I need a well out there......water please. Folks sometimes ask, why do you do so many different things? Two reasons: one, I am crazy. reason two, if all I did was iris and peony.......it would be a disastrous year. This way I have the perennials, bakery, summer bouquets, classes, vegetables, berries and the like to carry the farm. The ups and downs of the farmer gal, I know there are several out their that can relate!

No comments:

Post a Comment