Friday, November 5, 2010

I'm having Thursday.

All day yesterday I thought it was Wed., so today I am having Thursday! Yesterday was full of afternoon fun. I am too much of a wus to go out when it's still cold in the morning, so about noon I wander my way to the field. So on MY Wednesday, I used my tractor to move straw bales around the field to get them in place for the workers that are helping w/straw. Last year I got a 'deal' on some wet straw. WHAT A MISTAKE. Not only were they wet and heavy, but the seeds heads had sprouted and they were a mass of roots in the inside. It was like trying to pull apart a 100# roll of twine that was all knotted together. NOT a bargain. Lesson learned.

Thought I would share my favorite pumpkin pie recipe from my Grandma Fielder. This is a stove top cooked filling, poured into a baked shell. I never seen a 'baked in the oven' type till I was about 10, and visiting my other Grandma, Jen Dunham. She over baked everything, and this flat, thin pie was black on top. I was so dissappointed....that didn't look anything like my other grandma's pie!!!

Pumpkin Pie
2-3 eggs, beaten
16 oz. can pumpkin
16 oz. milk
mix & add
1 Cup sugar
2 heaping T. cornstarch
dash salt
1/2 t. each: ginger, nutmeg
3/4 t. cinnamon
Cook on stove top, med heat until thick. Anything with cornstarch or flour as the thickener needs to boil 1 minute. Warning: this will have big, lava type bursting bubbles. Pour hot filling into a baked pie shell. Should set for several hours before eating, can chill in fridge. We usually do these a day before using. Serve with piles of whipped cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment