Sunday, September 5, 2010

Fall is coming....time to read!

Truth be told, I only have time to read the new seed/plant catalogs. This farmer does not get much of a winter break! Anyhow, on the radio show last week I mentioned my 3 favorite garden books and thought you should know too!
1. Encyclopedia of Gardening: AHS (American Hort. Society) edited by C. Brickel
'IF' you can have only one gardening book....get this one. It has a little bit of everything from rose gardening, bed design, woody plants, vegetables, hardscapes, herbs, propagation etc.
It also has great photos.

2. A-Z Garden plants: AHS also edited by C. Brickel
This book will have care & cultivation information on any plant you will likely ever grow.
Great info and photos.

3. Woody Plant Manual: Micheal Dirr
Dirr is the foremost authority on trees & shrubs. I believe there was only one plant I was researching that I could not find in there. No photos, only line drawings. He does have other books with photos however.

Put any of these on your Christmas list! They run between $30-70, depending on where you find them. All 3 are very large reference books. Be an informed gardener!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment