Tuesday, December 27, 2011

And so it begins again...

The circle of the small farmer. One would think we have all winter to just hang out, read books, go to lunch, not so. To get the seeds/plants you want, you need to order the fall before or certainly by February. It's hard to get excited about plants this time of year, but I'll be happy in the spring that I took the time. I usually order seeds & plants from a couple of sources. The majority of the plants I order, go directly in the ground for at least a year, then they are divided and sold. This gives me a year to test their hardiness. I, as a consumer, also am discouraged when 'perennial' plants slated for our zone (4) do not survive the winter. Sometimes I am also surprised by the Pink Buddleia that has survived our winters that is slated for zone 6. I am hoping for some snow cover soon. I gambled and did not cover the iris this winter, tired of all the weed seed the straw leaves behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment