Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ahh...the summer annuals.

Above is Helichrysum, aka 'strawflower.' It's dry and crunchy feeling, so cool. I love to use these in my bouquets and dried fall arrangements. They come in white, pink, red, coral, peach, yellow & orange. No blues or purples....sorry Deb!
Amaranthus, a gorgeous grain head, and an important food source in South America. I grow the burgundy and this one called 'Hot Biscuits.' It also gets used fresh and dried. In one season it will grow 6 ft. tall.

Statice, a crowd favorite especially in blue, again..fresh and dried. This comes in white, yellow, peach, light & dark pink, blue, purple. I have never been a fan of the peach, it always looks dirty, and the color just fades away in bouquets, so why bother?


Zinnia. So pretty. When I first had plans for my cut flower operation, I thought...I'll never plant zinnias, they are an old grandma flower. Well if the garden shoes fit! I love zinnias! The only issue I have is getting long enough stems for my armload bouquets, so they often end up in the handful size, which is a shorter bouquet. Zinnias come in white, coral, pinks, reds, yellows, gold, lime, orange (my favorite). Not all flowers come in all colors, some have only a few colors in their pallette, others many. It seems a flower cultivar with true blue, will not have true red and visa versa.
Wed. is bouquet day, call me if you want to pick one up tomorrow. I plan to have in them: sunflower plus the above beauties and a few other sweet things like buddleia.
Diane 507-382-9337.



No comments:

Post a Comment